Raising the curtain on history
The main Grand Opera House building stands on the site of former circus buildings. The site's owner, Joseph Warden, was quick to see the potential of the site with its central location and close-by transport networks, and felt it right to create a new opera house in Belfast. He enlisted the help of Frank Matcham, widely considered to be one of the greatest and most prolific theatre architects of all time, to design his new theatre. Matcham got to work and the Grand Opera House Theatre and Cirque, as it was then known, opened to the public in 1895 with the pantomime, Bluebeard.